background

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Monday Musing-His Banner


Belinda Kersey July 20, 2008

God’s Word
“And Moses built an altar and named it, "The LORD Is My Banner." Exodus 17:15

 The Song
“Greatly to be Praised/I Offer Up This Praise” arranged by Joy Gardner and Bradley Knight

My Thoughts
We had a discussion in choir one night regarding exactly what God’s banner is.  In my youth one of the popular church songs sung in churches across the nation was “His Banner Over Me is Love”.  I’m afraid I never grasped the meaning of those words even though I sang them a million times with the obligatory hand motions.  I just envisioned a cloth sign over my head that said “Love”.  I guess I didn’t have much imagination or wasn’t interested in delving too far into the meaning of a pleasant little chorus.

During the rehearsal of “Greatly to Be Praised”, someone asked what exactly the words “your banner” mean.  By this time in my life, I knew a little more of what was behind that phrase.  I knew in my own life, I have raised his banner often and for so many reasons. I knew in Biblical times when the army of God was headed into battle, they would carry banners proclaiming the names of the Lord.  A visual that is a far cry from my hearts and flowers version in my youth!

When we raise God’s banner, we are showing the world and its prince of darkness we are on the side of  Adonai El Elyon, The Most High God (Gen. 14:22; Psalm 7:17; Psalm 47:2).   Our God is “greatly to be praised” and when we face a battle we must use every bit of our “heart, mind and strength” to raise the banner of God.

In this act of defiance against the enemy, we are given renewed strength to fight our battles, to face each day.  What are you going through?  Is your home rocked by chaos on every hand?  Lift up the banner of Jehovah Shalom (Judges 6:24), the Lord of our peace.

Are you battered and bruised from your struggle?  Do you need time to rest and heal?  Lift up the banner of Adonai Sal’i (Psalm 18:2), the Lord my Rock and hiding place. What disease has come upon you?  He is Jehovah Rapha, The LORD who heals you; The LORD your healer; (Ex. 15:26). 

Just as a child would lift his hands to be picked up, raise your hands to Adonai Avinu, The LORD our Father (Isa. 64:8).  He will lift you and hold you in your times of loneliness and uncertainty. Adonai Eloheikhem, The LORD your God (Lev. 19:3) stands ready to be by your side in whatever battle you face.  He is Adonai Elohim, The LORD God (Gen. 2:4), the Source and Ground of all being but the personal God and Creator of each and every one of us.

You can rest assured He is Adonai Yir’eh or, The LORD who sees; (Gen. 22:14); Adonai sees all and knows our needs intimately.  Even if you don’t have the strength to whisper your need, lift your eyes to heaven and He will see you.

Your Prayer
With your “hands lifted high and a heart of thanks, offer your praise” to Adonai Nissi, The LORD my Miracle, The LORD my Banner; (Ex. 17:15).

I did several searches but could not find this particular song on the internet!  I apologize!

1 comment: